Reblogged: Kalevala Hammer: 30th anniversary of the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay...

Oh yeah, it's my first reblog, but don't worry! It's done for a just cause.


I'm not the one for long speeches (yeah, yeah I know - "Chaos in the Old World" review) when it comes to important things, that happen in my life, be them family matters, personal successes or hobby related. So I'll let Jack Days from Kalevala Hammer grab this one. His post about WFRP's 30th anniversary is much better, than anything that I'd ever write here. Visit his website and read his post, it'll be worth it, I guarantee it. While you're at it, go and check out his fantastic fan-made material, like the WHFRP Norsca supplement. Great stuff.

"Kalevala Hammer: 30th anniversary of the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay...: This is the year, when Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay becomes 30 years old! And it might be one of these autumn days (October), when that happ..."

Altough I will add a few things from myself, why the hell not? A few posts ago I've written about my dislike for Warhammer Fantasy as a whole, or at least it could've been interpreted that way. Since that time I've met with a few opinions and comments about my implied hatred for the franchise, and how I have unreasonable expectations towards it.

To which I can only respond with a following statement: read that post again. It's true, I don't think that Warhammer Fantasy, both as the wargame and an RPG, is not a well made game, nor is it very original. Yes, it often pissed me off. Sometimes with its dumb rules, betrayal of its source material or a complete, unnecessary overhaul of core mechanics. Indeed in the last few year I was more angry at Fantasy, than anything else, but you know what?

I still want to play it.

"Seems like someone, finally came to his senses"

Yeah, I really do - both the WFB and WFRP. I honestly think that it speaks volumes about that world's immortality and timelessness, that despite its death and all its myriad flaws, people (myself included) still want to return to it. In 10 years, even if there will be no more editions of WFRP (assuming that no one will pick up the license, dropped by FFG), gamers will still play it, paint the minis and discuss the secrets of the Old World. In my opinion this is the true test of any game, that even after it is gone, there are still those who enjoy it, despite all of its shortcomings. I'm one of those people and plan on doing so ad infinitum.

Even if I'm still mad at that fat bartender, serving a pint of beer to a stocky Dwarf, who hates all the Elves. Because let's face it - being a timeless classic is no excuse for a lack of originality.

Now it's time to dust off my "The Enemy Within" books. I knew that one day, I would be able to finally use them. This time is approaching fast.

This is gonna be good

Happy birthday Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay! May you bring joy to next generations of geeks and fantasy enthusiasts, all around the world!

Until next time!

Xathrodox86

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End Times: what went wrong? - part 2. Swearing intensifies

Xathrodox86 reviews: "Mordheim: Warband Skirmish" (don't play this game!)

Heroes of the elven hosts. The final part of "End Times: Khaine" review is here!