My hobby summary of 2018. What lies ahead?

Another year, another mark. 2018 was very a hobby-heavy period for me, but I'm not complaining. In fact I can't wait for the 2019, as it promises a lot more action for me!

First of all - I'm getting married next year. That fact alone is making me smile like a madman and I can't stress enough how happy I am about that fact. My fiancee is a wonderful human being and I'm extremely lucky to have a second half like her. This will be a completely new chapter in my life, one that I'm very keen to explore.

As for the 2018 and my hobby related stuff... it was a blast. I've finished GM'ing "The Thousand Thrones" in one group (the first of my IRL groups) and "Terror in Talabheim" in the other (Roll20), together with a bunch of one-shot scenarios. Both campaigns are for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd edition, and both of them are long-time favorites of mine. I've also ran a demi-campaign set in Khuresh, in the far east of the Warhammer world. It was awesome. Sadly my playthrough of the "Karak Azgal" came to a premature end, as the dungeon crawl format doesn't really work when it comes to WFRP (although the supplement itself is still worthy of reading!). Because of that I'm also hesitant to try out "Lure of the Liche Lord", even tough the book itself is very interesting to read, and it's connected to the "Daemon Gates" trilogy by Aaron Rosenberg (who also wrote the campaign). Still, I might just use "Lure's..." many traps and curses, as they're really neatly described!

Dwarven rune-automatons? Yes, please!
However all is not Warhammer, as strange as it may sound. In my other two groups I'm running a chronicle for Vampire: The Masquerade: Revised edition set in Warsaw, and a series of one-shot scenarios (or "operatons", as they're also known" for the new Delta Green, which I think might be my new, favorite game system. I'm a huge fan of H.P. Lovecraft's freaky work, and a game which pits policemen, federal agents and ex-special operators against all myriads of eldritch abominations is more than ok in my books. Delta Green is a fantastic system, and one that really brings new life into the venerable Mythos. I will write more on this game in the coming months, but needless to say that my players love it. The theme, the rules and mechanics and the fact that we're playing in the setting of 80's Miami, all contribute to a truly fantastic experience. I highly recommend Delta Green to anyone who loves modern horror in their RPG's. You won't be dissapointed.

Aside from that, I'm very happy about the 4th edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay hitting the shelves. Although I think that Cubicle 7 could handle the developement process a tad better, they did an outstanding work with the final product. It truly captures that semi-riddiculous feel of the Warhammer World, while also being true to the previous editions. And the puns... the puns never end! The rulebook is filled with them to the brim, and I couldn't stop smirking, as I've devoured my way through its pages. Cubicle 7 also released a bunch of free scenarios for the 4th edition, as well as the Starter Set (although we're still waiting for the physical copies to arrive). Yeah, I'm still pretty irritated at them for all the delays, but at least they're trying their best to please their customers and that is something that I respect and approve of.

I also approve of this artwork. Fighting a bunch of squigs on rooftops is fucking hardcore!
I've written a multi-part demi-review of the 4th edition WFRP, but if you want to read a fantastic, in-depth write-up, covering this game, then head to the awesome (snicker) AWESOME LIES blog, where Gideon shares his thoughts on it. It's really worth reading and you can find it here.

As for the interviews, I was able to speak with a couple of distinguished authors, working in the gaming industry. Ed Hall, who worked on Hunter: The Reckoning RPG for the Classic World of Darkness, and David Guymer, one of the more prolific Black Library authors, have both graced me with the opportunity to ask them a bunch of questions. As always, I was fanboying more than a bit, when I've revieved the answers on my messenger app. What can I say? If someone would told me a few years ago, that I will be able to speak to the people whom helped create my favorite, fictional worlds, I would probably laugh out loud. Now it's happening, and I can assure you that in 2019 I'm planning to make even more interviews!

Finally I've been invited to the truly fantastic "Mud & Blood" podcast, ran by 9littlebees and Boganova. Together with the legendary Graeme Davis we've talked about all things Warhammer. It was the experience of a lifetime, being able to chat about one of your favorite settings with the man, who helped in creating it in the first place! You can listen to all of the episodes of the "Mud & Blood" podcast here.

These guys know their stuff. Highly recommended from yours truly!
Aside from all of the things, which I've already touched upon, 2018 was also rather 30K/40K heavy. I've joined the Horus Heresy league in Poland, and finally managed to finish my extra heretical Alpha Legion Harrow. Not only that, but I've also started a small, loyalist Emperor's Children Zone Mortalis force, and a White Scars Ordu, which is, for now, only a couple models strong, but will become a fully fledged fighting army in the coming future. Hai Chogoris!

2018 was a great year for me, both hobby and real-lifey-stuff-wise. I'm more than confident that the 2019 won't be any different. In fact it will be better in every way possible. I will see all of you guys in the coming year. Stay safe, stay healthy and... until next time.

Oh, and I almost forgot - stay sane...If you can...
Michael a.k.a. Xathrodox86

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End Times: what went wrong? - part 2. Swearing intensifies

Xathrodox86 reviews: "Mordheim: Warband Skirmish" (don't play this game!)

Heroes of the elven hosts. The final part of "End Times: Khaine" review is here!