On the subject of Zak Smith and the abusive behaviour in the RPG industry

This article was supposed to be a movie review, but seeing what is happening in the hobby right now, I've decided to add my two cents about this whole mess.

I'm not going to write an essay about this, nor am I going to enter in a lengthy philosophical mono-debate. Any sort of abusive behaviour is condemnable and should not be present at a table, or anywhere else. If you'll ever see someone being harassed, threatened or insulted in any way - react. Don't avert your eyes, don't claim that everything's cool and "it's just a joke bro". Do something.

What Smith did was horrendous and even though it concerns mainly the DnD community, of which I am not a part, it still should be talked about and dispraised. After reading the account of his ex-partner, I've felt nothing but sadness and disgust at equal measure. That a man who's part of a community based on the ideas of mutual respect, compassion and empathy, did something like that, and for years, is truly abhorrent.

Good thins is that a lot of folks in the hobby are in outrage, demanding the sodding bastard's head. I'm pretty sure that Smith is finished in the industry, and hopefully will feel the repercusions of his vile actions for years to come. RPG heavyweights like Matt Mercer and DriveThruRPG have spoken out about his deeds, making it clear that there is no place in the hobby for "people" like Zak Smith.

As I've already written a couple of times about my experiences with some very difficult, very nasty people, with whom I've played for X ammount of time, I'd just like to say one thing. As bad and nasty as these guys were, their actions were nothing when compared to hell that Smith put a lot of people through. Being an asshole is one thing - it happens. Being an monster is something that should not and will not stand, and is utterly condemnable.

This post was supposed to be about one of my favorite movies, which I've often used as an inspiration in my games, but honest to god, I'm too crossed to even consider writing anything "nice" today. What a piece of shit that guy is.

Until next time, when the atmosphere will be a bit cleaner.

Xathrodox86

P.S. No pictures for this one, as the topic in question is not exactly fit for any sort of online memes to be present.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End Times: what went wrong? - part 2. Swearing intensifies

Xathrodox86 reviews: "Mordheim: Warband Skirmish" (don't play this game!)

Heroes of the elven hosts. The final part of "End Times: Khaine" review is here!