"Beat the boredom!" Episode 5: "The Oldenhaller Contract" by Richard Halliwell and Graeme Davis

Welcome to another episode of my weekly WFRP scenario review! This time I'll be taking a short look at the timless classic - "The Oldenhaller Contract" by Richard Halliwell and Graeme Davis!

Let's not mince words - most Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay enthusiasts have played this adventure at least once in their lives. It is an introductory scenario for the 1st edition of the game. I still remember reading it back in the days of elementary school and being freaked out by the creepy fly guy at the end. Mind you, back then I've mainly played Advanced Dungeons & Dragons in a weekly club, organised by one of my school friends' older brother. Warhammer was something completely new to me, and at first I... didn't liked it that much. Yeah, it was too dark and gritty, and back then I was mainly playing heroic elves in a forgotten realm of the classic fantasy world, created by Gary Gygax. It was great fun, but a couple years later I've finally managed to catch the grim and perilous germ, and here I am still - writing articles about Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, playing it each week, non-stop for the last 12 years, and generally having a blast with this title.

"The Oldenhaller Contract" didn't contributed much to my love for WFRP, as I've ran it for the first time in the late 2014. I wanted to organise a longer, sandbox campaign in Nuln, and this scenario seemed perfect to introduce the PCs to the Jewel of the South. Only when I've read it, did I understood that my heroes won't be seeing a lot of the city itself - mainly its sewers! I still wanted to run it, as it was, after all, a classic scenario that any respectable gamemaster should have behind his belt, but in the end it felt... kinda meh. Naturally I wasn't feeling all too well around that time, having a lot on my mind and soul. Still, the whole thing felt really structured. It was like "Through the Drakwald", the introductory adventure for the 2nd edition of WFRP. Easy to run, easy to finish, but in the end - kinda forgettable.

Like this boring piece of art. Yeah, I've said it
Just like this piece of art. Yeah, I was never a fan of this classic 1st edition drawing...

Now, I fully know that most introductory RPG scenarios are not usually all that good, at least when it comes to plot and interesting characters. That said, they don't really need to be. They're supposed to teach the players the basic rules and laws of the game world. I get that. I also know that people's tastes change over the years, and that sometimes we can appreciate something which we've previously found not all that attractive.

So I've decided to give "The Oldenhaller Contract" another go, and... still found it to be a very basic, albeit charming little adventure. There are no fireworks here, but the thing is - they're not needed here at all. This scenario does what it's supposed to. It demonstrates the basic rules, both for social interactions, combat and magic, as well as sneaking around. Plus, and that's an even important thing in my opinion, it shows the ruthless brutality and bleakness of the Old World. The filth and grime which cover it from top to bottom. The hoplessness and despair that are present on every corner of every street, even in the most richest and opulent cities, such as Nuln. Yes, in these cases "The Oldenhaller Contract" does a damn good job, and is still, even after all these years, probably the best introductory scenario for the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

But what is it about, exactly? I won't spoil too much, since most of my readers know this one already, and those of who haven't played it, will just have to explore it by themselves. The general premise is as follows: the party gets hired by a rich man named Oldenhaller. He wants them to find a missing gem. That's it.

Naturally there is a lot going on, but the scenario itself is relatively short and can be finished in 1-2 sessions max. I recommend using the updated, unofficial 2nd edition version, which can be found here. There's also another fan-made version for the 4th edition of the game. You can download it from here.

I recommend "The Oldenhaller Contract". It's a classic scenario, and while it has its flaws, I think that it is still worth playing. Even for the nostalgia factor alone, and to see how the adventures were written in ye olden days. It's a trip down memory, a blast from the past, and everyone who plays Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, should play this scenario at least once in their lives.

Plus it has fly-covered people wielding staffs, topped with funky, pointing hands!

Until next time!

Xathrodox86

Comments

  1. I've taken a look to the 2nd edition version and who in his right mind publish a pdf in that is ready to print and bind instead of leaving the pdf easy to read? It's not as if the option to print in a ready to bind form doesn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, the file structure is messed up. Fortunately this is a relatively short scenario, so reading through is not too painful.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comments!

Popular posts from this blog

The End Times: what went wrong? - part 2. Swearing intensifies

Xathrodox86 reviews: "Mordheim: Warband Skirmish" (don't play this game!)

Heroes of the elven hosts. The final part of "End Times: Khaine" review is here!